This jar lid was developed primarily for monitoring varroa mite concentration in bee populations. For this purpose a sample of 300 bees would be placed in the plastic jar on one side along with enough isopropyl(rubbing) alcohol or ethyl alcohol(ethanol) solution to cover bees. The other side should have the empty jar securely attached. Shake the jar back and forth which will dislodge mites from the bees, the mites are then able to pass through the grid and are collected in the opposite jar. Mites are removed from the opposite jar for precise counting. This shaking/removing mites should be repeated multiple times until no more mites are observed in the empty jar.
These jar lids can also used for separating various differently sized materials from each other, not just filtering mites from bees.
- Designed with a 4mm center to center grid of ~.8mm wide cross members, actual square holes are about 3.15mm x 3.15mm, some may be 2.85mm to 3.2mm due to manufacturing tolerances.
- Includes rubber seal rings on both sides. Seals are captured and will not fall out/move during normal use, but may be replaced if necessary.
- Do not use with warm/hot water – jar lids are intended for use at room temperatures up to 110F. Plastic will degrade with long term direct sunlight exposure – as do most plastics – so please keep out of the sun during storage.
- Grid is made from plastic and will fail if large excessive force is applied, under normal use conditions (shaking bees etc.) we have observed zero failures to date. During destructive testing, the force required to break the grid was over 50lb when spread over a 13mm circle in center of grid.
- Lid plastic IS brittle and may crack if dropped from height onto hard surface, under normal operating conditions the hard plastic helps to keep the sealing surfaces flat.
Known Chemical Compatibility:
- Isopropyl Alcohol
- Ethyl Alcohol (ethanol)
Plastic Jar Specifications:
- Volume: 17oz (slightly over a Pint which is 16oz)
- Size: 126 mm tall, 75 mm wide.
- Jars made from PET plastic – nearly unbreakable
Colors are varied – Current colors are Light Blue – Silver – Yellow – Green – Dark Blue if you want/prefer a specific color or multiple colors please leave a note at checkout, note that if you request a certain color we don’t normally stock it may take a few more days to process your order, if no note about color is provided we will send random colors.
The jar lid is specifically designed to fit the included plastic jars – please be aware they will not properly seal or fit properly on standard ball jars. This is why we highly recommend ordering them with the plastic jars included. Most glass jars have too large manufacturing tolerances for a rigid jar lid like this to seal properly to. The included plastic jars are also shatter resistant being made from PET – the same material as standard plastic drinking water bottles.
Please don’t let the occasional “back-order” status stop you from purchasing, shipping times are usually within one day for in stock items and one week for back-ordered lids, if it will take longer we will notify you.
Designed AND Manufactured in Hawaii – Shipping to anywhere in the US within 7 days